Basic Needs Resources

Riverland Community College is committed to providing excellent educational opportunities to the communities it serves. We recognize basic needs - including things like food, housing and transportation - can have a direct impact on the well-being and success of our students. To assist our community in meeting these needs, we've compiled the resources below. The information will be revised when appropriate and evolve as necessary.

Advocacy Services will collaborate with campus and community departments, agencies, and individuals to make appropriate referrals and provide information to meet student needs. Some of the support services include:

  • Referral to a Licensed Mental Health Counselor - Riverland has contracted with Independent Management Services or IMS, to provide students access to range of free mental health services.
  • Crisis Management Support
  • Housing and Food Insecurity Support
  • Time Management and Academic Motivation
  • Sexual Violence Advocacy

988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline |

What is 988? The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline (formerly known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline) offers 24/7 call, text and chat access to trained crisis counselors who can help people experiencing suicidal, substance use, and/or mental health crisis, or any other kind of emotional distress.

When people call, text, or chat 988, they will be connected to trained counselors that are part of the existing Lifeline network. These trained counselors will listen, understand how their problems are affecting them, provide support, and connect them to resources if necessary.

The previous Lifeline phone number (1-800-273-8255) will always remain available to people in emotional distress or suicidal crisis.

211 United Way Resources

Call the 211 network for additional housing, medical and basic needs resources. 211 in the United States responds to more than 21 million requests for help every year. Most calls, web chats, and text messages are from people looking for help meeting basic needs like housing, food, transportation, and health care. 

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) designated 211 as the 3-digit number for information and referrals to social services and other assistance in 2000. The 211 service is provided by more than 200 local organizations that are committed to serving their communities. Many different kinds of organizations operate the 211 service, including United Ways, Goodwill, Community Action Partnerships, and local crisis centers.


Click on specific topic for a list of resources

Contact Information

Penny Rosenthal
Penny Rosenthal, PhD

Director Advocacy Services

Book an Appointment
Card image cap
Rebecca Denaway

Social Worker

Book an Appointment
Suhai Boyer
Suhai Boyer

Accessibility Services Specialist

Book an Appointment
Card image cap
Britani Espe

Accessibility Services & PSEO Advisor
507-433-0646 (Office)

Book an Accessibility Services Appointment

Book a PSEO Appointment