Apply for Veterans Education Benefits

We encourage all eligible student veterans to apply for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits for all associate degree and certificate offerings. We’re here to help you make the most of these valuable benefits.

VA Education Benefits for Student Veterans


Basic Eligibility

Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

Individuals who served on active duty on or after September 10, 2001, for at least 90 days; spouse/children may qualify through Transfer of Entitlement.

Montgomery GI Bill® - (MGIB - Chapter 30)

Members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard who are on active duty or have been separated from active duty with an honorable discharge.

Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR - Chapter 1606)

  • Members of the reserve components of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard; members of the Army National Guard and Air National Guard.
  • Seek approval from your unit’s Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling.
  • Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)  information –Complete and submit the Tuition Authorization Form ( is currently not available) for each class being funded by Federal Tuition Assistance to Veteran Service office.
  • For help with FTA contact Mark Larsen (contact information to the right)
  • Be sure to make a copy for your records and to notify the VA Certifying Official at Riverland (contact information to the right) that you are utilizing Federal Tuition Assistance.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA - Chapter 35)

Children or spouse of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled from service-connected causes; children or spouse of a veteran who died in service or who died of service-connected causes; children or spouse of another qualifying veteran or serviceperson, such as one currently missing in action or captured in the line of duty.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (Ch. 31)

Veterans with a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% or Servicemembers with a memorandum rating of at least 20%. This is not specifically an education benefit, but an approved rehabilitation plan that may include college/university courses which are paid for by the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program.

 Apply for VA Benefits for the First Time

  • We encourage you to apply for VA education benefits online for faster processing. Make sure to print or save the confirmation page you receive at the end of the application for us to start your benefits file.
  • If you already have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA, please submit a copy to the School Certifying Official.  You can turn your COE into the Student Services Office on any campus or email to
  • Request a paper application from the School Certifying Official.

Transfer Your VA Education Benefits 

If you have received VA Education Benefits at another school and have remaining entitlement, it’s easy to transfer them to Riverland by following the steps below:

Understand Your VA Education Benefits 

Here are resources to help answer your questions so that you make the best of your VA Education Benefits:

  • Speak with a Benefits Counselor at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) for questions about your benefits eligibility, don’t know what benefit to apply for, or want to know if you have remaining entitlement.
  • The Regional Veterans Coordinator, Mark Larsen is available to assist you by email ( or phone 507-779-9375.
  • More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Your VA Certifying Official