Getting Started with Online Learning

Riverland Community Colleges uses the learning software D2L Brightspace.


First-time users

We understand that beginning an online course can be a confusing and intimidating process, so we give you the following checklist so you will know where to begin and what you will need to do.

Is your computer ready?
Check to see if your computer is ready. ->

Activate your Login (StarID)
You will need this to access your email, D2L and e-Services. Get started or manage your StarID by clicking

Log in to Desire2Learn, (D2L)  
This is where your courses are. Click to use your StarID to log in and get going. 

Download the D2L Quick Reference Guide

D2L Brightspace for Learners
This site offers basics, including how to view course announcements and content, how to take quizzes and submit assignments, and how to interact with your instructor and other learners.

State Authorization

National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements Approved InstitutionRiverland Community College has been a member of NC-SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements) since April 2015. SARA establishes national standards for interstate offering of distance-education courses and programs, and member states and institutions commit to a process for resolving consumer complaints.


Student Consumer Complaint Process

Pursuant to the United States Department of Education's Program Integrity Rule, institutions providing online education are required to provide all prospective and current students contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against post-secondary education institutions offering distance learning within that state.

We encourage you to seek resolution to any concerns by discussing them informally with a staff member at Riverland Community College. If a complaint cannot be handled informally, Riverland students are encouraged to use the complaint form and process outlined in the Student Handbook.

If a complaint cannot be resolved at the college level, you may contact the Minnesota Office of Higher Education. If you reside in another state, you may contact your local state agency for further information.