Exit Counseling

Exit Counseling Sessions

When you graduate (or if you drop below half-time attendance) from Riverland Community College, regulations require that you go through an exit counseling session. 

Exit Counseling is completed by going to www.studentloans.gov 

Completing this session will give you information about the following:

  • Rights and Responsibilities
  • Types of Repayments
  • Deferments and Forbearance
  • Delinquency and Default Status
  • Loan Forgiveness

Loan Payments

You will have a 6-month grace period before your initial loan payments begin.

You can make principle-only payment any time prior to the end of the 6-month grace period.

If you change your name, permanent address, or enroll for half-time or more credits at college, you will need to notify your Department of Education Servicing Center.

Notifying the Department of Education Servicing Center of changes will ensure that you will receive your payment booklet on time so that your loan will not go into delinquent status.

Even if you are enrolling at another college, you will still be required to go through this process at Riverland.

If you are unsure of your total loan indebtedness, you can access this information by visiting the National Student Loan Data base system at www.nslds.ed.gov. At this site you will be able to access every Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford Loan that you have taken out through any postsecondary institution.


Once you have gone through the online Exit Loan counseling process, you will be able to print a confirmation page with a copy of your rights and responsibilities. The Financial Aid Office will receive electronic confirmation that you have completed this session.