Meet the Coaches
Head Coach Ashley Lau
- Assistant Volleyball Coach at Riverland Community College in Austin, MN 2011 & 2012
- I helped out at a lot of Riverland camps, as well as volleyball programs through the Austin Park and Rec.
- Assistant Varsity Coach and Head Junior Varsity Coach at West Potomac High School in Alexandria, VA 2015-2017
- Co-Head Coach for Arlington Elite Volleyball Club (17/18-1s and 15-1s) in Arlington, VA 2015-2017
- Assisted in Arlington Elite Volleyball Camps on the off season
- Assistant Coach for Northern Lights 15-B 2018
- Assisted in Northern Lights Volleyball Camps throughout the summer 2018
- Played for Glenville-Emmons HS as both an OH and Middle (when needed). I held the record for most digs for 4 years.
- Played indoor for 2 years at Riverland Community College as an OH 2008 & 2009.
- When I moved to Virginia, I played USAV Women’s 6s, along with a LOT reverse coed 4s and doubles.
- Every weekend was filled with either coaching or playing in all day 6s tournaments and then straight to all night reverse coed 4s tournaments.
- I found a love for playing grass doubles and beach doubles, which is what my summers consisted of and I miss it every day.
- I received my Cosmetology Degree from Riverland Community College
- Associates in Health and a Minor in Coaching
- While paying my way through college, doing hair, I was taking courses for Athletic Training to obtain my Bachelors Degree, when I realized that wasn't a passion of mine. I am now working towards my Bachelors in Health and Wellness Management through the University of Wisconsin-Superior.
- I am also getting certified as a personal trainer.
- I consider myself a traveler and can't seem to stay in one place for too long. I love moving to different areas of the country and experiencing new things.
- I would love to get back into playing Beach Volleyball and compete at a competitive level once again.
- My childhood dream was to play in the WNBA and when I was in high school, my senior goal was to score 1000pts in Basketball and to dunk. At least I accomplished 1 of those.
Favorite Volleyball Memory:
- My favorite volleyball moment as a player would have to be when I was playing in just an adult 6s tournament in Virginia and we took 1 game from a team who were all Division 1 athletes. It sounds crazy but picture a team where everybody is like 5'5"-5'9" and 1 6' middle vs a team full of a team all over 6' players. Let's just we played really well, it was super fun and we didn't care that we lost.
- As a coach, my favorite moment was when my team I coached at West Potomac won the District Champs. We worked for 3 years building the program. Taking a losing program, who maybe only won 2 games a season, to becoming a hard working group who would maybe lose 1-2 games in the season, was an amazing feeling and experience as a coach. To see these athletes grow and succeed is one of the most amazing things.
Assistant Volleyball Coach Jaime Meyer
- 9th grade and varsity volleyball coach at Centerville High school, IA (205-2006 Seasons)
- Coached JV and Varsity volleyball at Albert Lea High school, MN (2007-2011 Seasons)
- Hurdles and Jumps coach for track and field at Albert Lea High school, MN (2010-2011 Seasons)
- Volunteered to help coach JV and varsity at Austin High school, MN (2012 Season)
- Coached a variety of JO and off season volleyball clubs (2007-2012)
- Played for Austin High school as a right side and middle hitter.
- Played two years for Riverland Community College as a right side and middle hitter.
- Played on a variety of women and coed teams in Austin, Albert Lea, Rochester and Stewartville varying from sand to 4’s and 6’s indoor teams.
- Major in science education and minor in geology from MSU, Mankato
- License to teach high school life and earth sciences
- Master’s degree in education and leadership from Southwest State
- Graduate credits in education and biology
- I have always been involved with volleyball in some capacity but took a 5 year break in order to start a family. I have 3 spunky little girls aged 5, 3 and 1 that keep me very busy.
- Teaching is a passion of mine and I am very much in my element while doing so. Coaching goes right along with education and is also a huge passion of mine.
Favorite Coaching Moment:
- While coaching in Albert Lea we were playing a game that went to five sets. During the fifth set the score was 6-13 and the outlook was not very good for us to win. I had an inexperienced 7th grader back at the serving line who was under a lot of pressure. She served tough and the team played so hard, literally refusing to give up on the win. We ended up winning 16-14 in the 5th set and won the match. It really showed me that anything is possible in the game of volleyball and that you should never give up. No matter what the circumstances are, there is always the chance to win, you just have to choose it and work for it.