Sexual Violence Prevention

Sexual violence on campuses has received significant national attention recently. As we welcome students to Riverland Community College, we want to inform students of the college’s commitment to provide a sexual violence free campus.

What is Sexual Violence?

Sexual assault is an actual, attempted or threatened sexual act with another person without that person’s consent. Sexual assault includes, but is not limited to: 

  • Date rape, acquaintance rape, marital rape
  • Other dating and relationship violence
  • Stalking
  • Molestation
  • Child sexual abuse
  • Unwelcome contact or exposure
  • Offensive sexual behavior that is directed at another, such as indecent exposure or voyeurism
  • Non-forcible sex acts
  • Sexual Harassment

Sexual assault is often a criminal act that can be prosecuted under Minnesota law, as well as forming the basis for discipline under Riverland’s student conduct codes and employee disciplinary standards.

What are Non-Forcible Sex Acts?

Non-forcible acts include unlawful sexual acts where consent is not relevant, such as sexual contact with an individual under the statutory age of consent, as defined by Minnesota law, or between persons who are related to each other within degrees wherein marriage is prohibited by law.

To Whom and When Does Riverland Community College’s Sexual Violence Policy Apply?

This policy applies to:

  1. The conduct of all Riverland Community College students and employees when they are on college property or participating in any Riverland Community College course or sponsored activity.
  2. The conduct of individuals who are not Riverland Community College students or employees who come on college sites.
  3. The off-campus conduct of students and employees if it results in a hostile educational or work environment for Riverland Community College students or employees.

What if I Experience a Sexual Assault?

  1. Go to a safe place.
  2. Call 911 for immediate assistance. 
  3. For on campus assistance, contact the Safety Administrator, Mike Howe, at 507-433-0621, or; or the Title IX Coordinator, Chelsea Anderson at 507-433-0829, or  They can assist you with filing a police report, if you choose to report to local police.
  4. Do not bathe, douche, use the toilet, or change clothing. Timely and prompt reporting of a sexual assault is critical in preserving evidence and is important in proving a criminal case against the assailant.
  5. Seek medical attention immediately regardless of whether you report the matter to the police. Local hospitals include: Austin Medical Center-Mayo Health, 101 14th St NW, Austin, MN 55912-4685, 507-437-6680; Owatonna Hospital, 2250 NW 26th St, Owatonna, MN 55060, 507-977-2000; and Mayo Clinic Health System-Albert Lea, 404 W Fountain St, Albert Lea, MN 56007, 507-377-5913.
  6. You may file a police report with the appropriate law enforcement agency, by calling 911, or by calling the non-emergency dispatch number for Albert Lea Police 507-377-5210, Austin Police 507-437-9400, or Owatonna Police 507-444-3800.
  7. Contact any of the following confidential resources for support, assistance and referral: Riverland Counselors, Paul Anderson, Austin & Albert Lea, 507-433-0698, or Jeanne Poppe, Austin & Owatonna, 507-433-0518; Freeborn County Crime Victims Crisis Center, 203 W Clark St., Albert Lea, MN 56007-1246, 507-373-2223; Mower County Crime Victims Resource Center, 101 14th St NW, Austin, MN 55912, 507-437-6680; and Steele County Crisis Resource Center, 125 W Front St, Owatonna, MN 55060, 507-451-1202.
  8. If you are a witness to sexual violence, we encourage you to call 911 immediately to report the crime.  We also encourage you to contact the College Safety Administrator or the Title IX Coordinator to report the crime.  Remain with the victim until help arrives.
  9. You may request that the college make arrangements to reduce contact between you and the alleged assailant, such as providing a change in classes and/or academic schedules, working arrangements, or other appropriate measures. These options are available regardless of whether the victim chooses to report the crime to law enforcement or campus authorities.
  10. You have the right to petition for an Order for Protection (OFP) or a Harassment Restraining Order (HRO). The Safety Administrator, Title IX Coordinator or College Counselors could assist you with arranging those.
  11. You may also contact the Minnesota Crime Victims Reparations Board at 651-201-7300 which provides financial help to victims and their families for losses incurred as a result of a violent crime. You may also visit for additional information.

Where Do I find the Sexual Violence Policy and Procedure?

Other Resources

Riverland’s Sexual Assault Awareness Training for employees and students can be found on their individual D2L Page.

Riverland’s Annual Campus Security & Fire Report


Reporting Sexual Offenses

File a report based on sexual misconduct 

Reports can be submitted anonymously. 

Reports may be made by:

  • An individual who has experienced sexual misconduct;
  • Anyone who received a report from someone who experienced sexual misconduct; and/or
  • Anyone who witnessed or otherwise has information that sexual misconduct may have occurred

Mike Howe
Safety Administrator

Chelsea Anderson
Dean of Student Affairs/Title IX Coordinator

Karen Irwin
Chief Human Resources Officer/ADA Coordinator (for Employees)



Riverland Counselors

Paul Anderson
Austin & Albert Lea

Jeanne Poppe
Austin & Owatonna

You can also reach a Riverland Counselor by email at, or by calling 507-433-0600 or 1-800-247-5039 (Toll-free).



Freeborn County Crime Victims Crisis Center
203 W Clark St.
Albert Lea, MN 56007-1246
507-373-2223 (24 hours)

Mower County Crime Victims Resource Center
101 14th St NW
Austin, MN 55912
507-437-6680 (24 hours)

Crisis Resource Center of Steele County
125 W Front St.
Owatonna, MN 55060
507-451-1202 (24 hours)