Riverland Science Technology Engineering Prep (R-STEP) Academy
Important Dates to Remember
- June 14th – August 6th, 2021
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
The R-STEP Academy is a free program for teens and young adults between the ages of 16 and 22. High school students who have completed grades 10, 11, and 12 by R-STEP Academy’s start date are encouraged to apply. During R-STEP, students have the opportunity to prepare for college by taking college-level Math, Writing, and Career/Life Exploration courses. Students will explore STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) curriculum, applied learning activities, STEM-based project learning, and field trips in the Academy. R-STEP Academy is designed for those students who are ready to handle the rigors of college-level coursework (non-developmental courses).
This eight-week program will increase students’ knowledge and skills through:
- College-level courses in Math, English, and College Success (MATH-2021: Fundamentals of Statistics, ENGL-1101: Composition I, and CCLS-1000: First-Year Experience)
- Blended learning (Online/In-Class)
- Applied research methods, guest speakers, STEM-based activities, field trips
Upon completion, R-STEP participants will earn 8 College credits – FREE!
Students receive guidance and support through dedicated instructors, advisors, counselors, and tutors. Students will also benefit from the educational seminars designed for college success and participate in leadership, volunteer and educational activities and field trips throughout the summer.
In order to be considered to participate with R-STEP Academy, you must:
- Complete the Online Application
- Submit a Letter of Recommendation
- Send a copy of your high school transcript to email@example.com
- Make sure you have submitted your ACT/MCA/Accuplacer Math AND Reading scores. If you DID NOT complete that on the application, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you do not have any Math or Reading test scores, please arrange a time to take the Accuplacer
What Are Our Students Saying?
- It was better than I expected
- It was an awesome experience. It was really better than what I had thought
- R-STEP was a lot of fun. I learned a lot about many different careers and experienced many exciting things
- It was better and more real than I expected
- R-STEP was way better than I expected. It was actually fun
- I had fun, met nice people and learned many things
- It was a useful opportunity that taught lots of important things
36/36 of graduates would recommend R-STEP Academy to a friend!
What We Do:
- We establish a learning community where students learn, study and explore together
- We explore STEM and the how it impacts our local and regional economies
- We provide support through dedicated instructors, advisors, counselors and tutors
- We enjoy fun out-of-class activities and events to reinforce learning
- We encourage students to learn what classroom styles work the best for them
- We work together to set personal and career goals
- Improve reading, writing, math, communication, and study skills
- Increase confidence, leadership skills and motivation for college
- Recognize the importance of STEM curriculum
- Receive career exploratory advice and opportunities for future employment
- Identify their learning style
- Develop education and career plans
- Experience college life and are able to access campus resources
- Become involved in their community