Riverland Science Technology Engineering Prep (R-STEP) Academy
The R-STEP Academy is a free program for teens and young adults between the ages of 16 and 22. During R-STEP, students have the opportunity to prepare for college by taking college-level Math, Writing, and Career/Life Exploration courses. Students will explore STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) curriculum, applied learning activities, STEM-based project learning, and field trips in the Academy. R-STEP Academy is designed for those students who are ready to handle the rigors of college-level coursework (non-developmental courses).
- College-level courses in Math, English, and College Success (MATH-2021: Fundamentals of Statistics, ENGL-1101: Composition I, and CCLS-1000: First-Year Experience)
- Blended learning (Online/In-Class)
- Applied research methods, guest speakers, STEM-based activities, field trips
This eight-week program will increase students’ knowledge and skills through:
Upon completion, R-STEP participants will earn 8 College credits – FREE!
Students receive guidance and support through dedicated instructors, advisors, counselors, and tutors. Students will also benefit from the educational seminars designed for college success and participate in leadership, volunteer and educational activities and field trips throughout the summer.
Important Dates to Remember
- Academy Dates: Monday, July 6th - Friday, August 14th
- Application Deadline: Friday, May 29th - Space is limited!
What We Do:
- We establish a learning community where students learn, study and explore together
- We explore STEM and the how it impacts our local and regional economies
- We provide support through dedicated instructors, advisors, counselors and tutors
- We enjoy fun out-of-class activities and events to reinforce learning
- We encourage students to learn what classroom styles work the best for them
- We work together to set personal and career goals
- Improve reading, writing, math, communication, and study skills
- Increase confidence, leadership skills and motivation for college
- Recognize the importance of STEM curriculum
- Receive career exploratory advice and opportunities for future employment
- Identify their learning style
- Develop education and career plans
- Experience college life and are able to access campus resources
- Become involved in their community