Transfer Information

Transfer Information

Transferring Made Easier

Planning to pursue a Bachelor's Degree?
Wondering how to transfer credits to another college or university?
Completing your Associate in Arts (AA) degree and wondering what to do next?

Riverland Community College is a great place to start because you can complete your first two years (60 credits) of college at Riverland and transfer those credits to a four-year college or university to complete a Baccalaureate (Bachelor's) Degree. 

All state operated colleges and universities in Minnesota are united under the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) system. Together they have identified courses in ten goal areas for students to satisfactorily complete known as the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MNTC). All courses completed as MNTC credits can transfer to other schools within the MnSCU system.  The forty MNTC credits within ten goal areas are built into Riverland’s Associate of Arts degree.

Credits not identified as MNTC can be transferable.  The receiving college or university determines which credits transfer and whether those credits meet requirements of a specific degree. For the most part institutions accept courses which are similar to ones they offer.  Similarity is considered in course goals, content and level. Baccalaureate degree programs usually count credits in three categories: major/minor courses and prerequisites, general education, and electives.   Students are encouraged to keep Riverland course syllabi to be able to later identify course goals, books used, requirements, and faculty who taught the class.

Riverland Community College has counselors available to help students with their transfer planning.  A student can consult with a counselor at any time during their enrollment at Riverland.

MNTC Requirements at Riverland and beyond
Students who complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MNTC) at Riverland have completed the lower division general education requirements for all Minnesota public colleges and universities. The MNTC curriculum identifies a common foundation and shared competencies for students who transfer between Minnesota State College and Universities (MnSCU).

To complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MNTC) at Riverland, a student must take 40 credits separated into ten goal areas. The courses taken must meet credit requirements in each of the five discipline areas (Communications, Humanities and Fine Arts, Mathematics/Logical Reasoning, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences) and must include at least one course in each of the five thematic areas (critical thinking, ethical and civic responsibility, human diversity, global perspective, people and the environment. Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.  

Twenty additional elective credits are needed to complete the A.A. degree.  The additional credits must be numbered 1000 or above, and contain at least one credit in physical education, health, EMER, HCNA 1200, or THTR 1111.  A minimum of twenty semester credits must be taken at Riverland.  This requirement is reduced to twelve semester credits for students who are transferring from another MnSCU institution.

Transfer Resources

Advanced Placement Credit (AP)
Articulation Agreements
College Level Examination (CLEP)
DSST Standardized Tests (formerly known as DANTES)
Interactive Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) 
International Baccalaureate (IB)
Master Course Outlines
Military Credit
Military Transfer - Veterans Education Transfer System (VETS)
Minnesota Transfer - This site enables students, transfer specialists and educators to access transfer information for regional, public, private and out-of-state colleges and universities.
Transfer Action Plan
Transcript Evaluation 
Transfer Course Evaluation Appeal Form 
Transferology  - Transfer students may use Transferology to see how credits earned at other colleges and universities will transfer to Riverland. The Transferology website is a user-friendly online resource that includes academic program requirements, course descriptions, and course equivalency guides for schools in Minnesota and other states. Students may also view equivalencies in Transferology for standardized college level placement exams (CLEP, AP, IB, DSST/Dantes) and military course work.

View Board Policy 3.39, Transfer Rights and Responsibilities, to understand students' and institution's rights and responsibilities as they relate to transfer of credit.

Glossary of Terms
Student FAQ's




Contact Information
Enrollment Services: