Application process for High School Students & PSEO Students:
What is PSEO?
The Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) program is a state program for high school and home school juniors and seniors, which offers the opportunity to enroll in and attend college-level courses and apply earned credits towards high school graduation requirements and a college degree. Sophomores are now eligible to participate as well, but they must have successfully completed the 8th grade MCAs. State funding covers the cost of tuition and required books for eligible courses. Technical or career programs may require you to pay for tools, clothing, consumable or personal supplies.
Your decision to participate is an important one, and should be made only after consulting with your parents and your high school counselor to determine if you are eligible and if this program would be of benefit to you. If you are planning to attend for the Fall semester you should apply in the Spring of the prior year. If you wish to start in the Spring semester you should apply in the Fall of that year. Semester dates can be viewed on our Academic Calendar.
PSEO Academic Eligibility Requirements
Riverland Community College follows the PSEO admission guidelines set forth by the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU). Students are admitted based on the following criteria:
- High School Juniors: Must by inthe upper one-third of class or test score at or above 70th percentile on any nationally standardized, norm-reference test such as the PLAN, ACT, PSAT, or SAT.
- High School Seniors: Must be in the upper one-half of class or test score at or above 50th percentile on any nationally standardized, norm-referenced test such as the PLAN, ACT, PSAT, or SAT.
How to become a PSEO Student: High School Juniors and Seniors or Home School Student
- Select "Applying for PSEO" and fill out appropriate PSEO Packet
- High school or home school transcript
Submit paperwork to:
Riverland Community College
Attn: PSEO Coordinator
1900 8th Ave NW
Austin, MN 55912
ONCE you are accepted as a Junior or Senior PSEO Student:
- Register for and complete the required college readiness assessment, Accuplacer
- Accuplacer testing is required before registering
- Students may substitute an ACT score of 21 or higher in Reading for English 1101, a score of 16 or higher in Reading to enroll in all other Liberal Arts courses and a score of 22 or higher in Math for college level Math courses.
- Register for and attend PSEO On-Campus Orientation
- First time PSEO students are required before registering
- Bring accuplacer scores or ACT exam scores on the day of your orientation
- Pick up Books
- Only PSEO students or a parent/guardian are eligible to pick up books in the bookstore
- The student or a parent/guardian will need to present a PSEO stamped class schedule at the time of pick up
- PSEO books are available one week before classes start
*Restricted Courses: PSEO students are not eligible to take any Developmental Courses (Courses numbered lower than 1000)
Student are admitted based on the following criteria:
- High School Sophomores: Must pass 8th grade MN Comprehensive Assessment (MCA) Reading at the composite proficiency level of "meets or exceeds" or MCA score of 850.
- Homeschoolers and private school students must be able to provide MCA scores to be eligible.
- Must meet any of the other course prerequisites or course enrollment standards established by the college, including but not limited to assessment test scores, program admission or other requirements of the Career Technical Course they wish to enroll in.
- Students are allowed to take one career technical education course during the first semester of enrollment. If the student receives a grade of a C or better in the course, the student shall be allowed to take additional career technical courses in subsequent terms.
Special High School Admission
High school students who are not enrolled at Riverland Community Colege through the PSEO program may be admitted to enroll in courses outside of the PSEO program for any term, including summer session. Students are responsible for payment of tuition, fees and books.
Interested students must complete:
- Riverland's application
- Pay the $20 application fee
- Submit high school transcript and placement test results (Accuplacer or ACT)
- Written permission to enroll from a parent or guardian
Student must score at college level for reading to register for courses. Accuplacer reading score of 63 or ACT reading score of 16.
PSEO students may be eligible for assistance with transportation costs. To be eligible, a student's family must be under the federal poverty income guidelines. Students who qualify will work with their district on the reimbursement process. More information can be found at the Minnesota Department of Education's web site.