Application process for High School Students & PSEO Students
What is PSEO?
The Post-Secondary Educational Options (PSEO) program is a state program for high school and home school juniors and seniors, which offers the opportunity to enroll in and attend college-level courses and apply earned credits toward high school graduation requirements and a college degree. Sophomores are now eligible to participate as well, but they must have taken the 8th grade MCAs. State funding covers the cost of tuition and required books for eligible courses. Technical or career programs may require you to pay for tools, clothing, consumable or personal supplies.
- Fall 2014 application deadline for NEW students is Monday - August 4, 2014.
- Spring 2015 application deadline for NEW students is Monday - December 8, 2014.
Admissions Requirements for PSEO Students
Riverland Community College follows the PSEO admission guidelines set forth by the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU). Participation shall be available to sophomores, juniors, and seniors enrolled through a Minnesota high school, home school, or alternative learning center; who present evidence of the ability to perform college-level work. Such evidence includes the following:
- High School Juniors must rank in the upper one-third of their class or score at or above the 70th percentile on any nationally standardized, norm-referenced test.
- High School Seniors must rank in the upper one-half of their class or test score at or above 50th percentile on any nationally standardized, norm-referenced test.
- High School Sophomores & Career and Technical Education.
Passage of 8th grade Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment (MCA) in reading will make 10th grade students eligible for enrollment in a career and technical course. Their continued participation will be contingent upon passing their initial course.
- In addition, PSEO students must score at college level on the course placement test, called Accuplacer.
Your decision to participate is an important one, and should be made only after consulting with your parents and your high school counselor to determine if you are eligible and if this program would be of benefit to you. If you are planning to attend for the Fall semester you should apply in the Spring of the prior year. If you wish to start in the Spring semester you should apply in the Fall of that year. Semester dates can be viewed on our Academic Calendar.
Special High School Admission
High School students who are not enrolled at Riverland Community College through the PSEO program may be admitted to enroll in courses outside of the PSEO program for any term, including summer session. Students are responsible for payment of tuition, fees and books.
Interested students must complete:
- Riverland’s application
- Pay the $20 application fee
- Submit high school transcript and placement test results (Accuplacer or ACT)
- Written permission to enroll from a parent or guardian
Students must score at college level for reading to register for courses.
- Accuplacer Reading score of 78 or ACT Reading score of 21